4 tips to enable Nested Virtualization like a PRO
Enable Nested Virtualization in VirtualBox for Windows 10 or Windows 11
Table of Contents:
Nested virtualization is used to enable, use or create virtual machines within virtual machines, consider Virtualbox is running CentOS virtual machine and within that virtual machine someone wants to create another virtual machine of Windows.
VirtualBox out of the box doesn’t not enable Nested Virtualization, this need to be enabled and have the following procedure.
Below is the step-by-step procedure to turn Hyper-V ON/OFF:
- Open CMD as administrator
- Turning hyper-v OFF with and a reboot:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
- To TURN it back ON (or auto start) and reboot:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype
Steps for BIOS:
- Enable Intel Virtualization Technology
- Enable VT-d
Turn Nested Virtualization On
- Open Command Prompt with Administrator privileges
- cd C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox
VBoxManage modifyvm "OSNAME" --nested-hw-virt on
Change OSNAME with your virtual machine name.
Virtualbox, Nested Virtualization, Windows 10, Windows 11, Enable, Hardware Virtualization, Hyper-V